Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Attempt at a Gluten-Free Dutch Baby

It worked....kinda. The boys loved the Dutch Baby and so did my dear husband. It did rise, a little, in the oven. It was a flat pancake when we ate it, but it was good. This was my first time ever making a Dutch Baby, GF or not. I looked at various recipes GF and not, and this is what I tried.

2 T butter(or coconut oil)
4 eggs room temperature
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/8 cup white rice flour
1/8 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp xanthum gum
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup milk(I used cow, but will try another type next time)
1/8 tsp allspice and cinnamon

1. I placed a cast iron skillet in a 475 degree oven.
2. I beat the eggs until light and added milk. I whisked both. I mixed in the sugar.
3. I mixed the flours, salt and xanthum gum in a seperate bowl.
4. I poured the flour into the eggs and mixed them together.
5. I took the skillet out of the oven.
6. I coated the skillet with butter and poured in the batter.
7. I lowered the oven temp to 425 and put it in the oven until set and golden.

I think next time I will mix in the blender and see if it is fluffier. Maybe I'll try sorghum flour, too.

We ate with yogurt, honey and strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment